There are many advantages to working from home. But there are many disadvantages as well. And many entrepreneurs find it difficult to stay focused on the work at hand as there are often many distractions. So I wanted to share with you some of my tips on How to be productive while working from home.
- Work In A Well Lit Area: I find when I work in a well lit room I feel more energized.
- Remember to Move: I find that I am way more productive if I get up and stretch my legs and move around often. I also love to take a nice walk after a few hours of typing. It also helps to clear my mind.
- Keep Home and Office Separate: It is important to keep your house chores separate from the work you do for your online business. You can separate this two ways. One way is to give yourself 5 minutes each hour to do a quick household chore like throwing in the wash, or running the dishwasher. Or you can decide that there is a certain chunk of time you will focus on home chores. For me, On my day off from the day job, I work on my business as soon as I wake up in the morning. Then I take a 3 hour break for household duties and lunch. I then work on my business from 2 to 6.
- Get Out of Your Pajamas: Yes it is great that we can choose to wear our pajamas or sweats all day long if we want, but I find that I get more stuff done when I’m up and out of my pajamas. Even if all I have on is a pair of jeans and a tee shirt.
- Pretend You Are Not Home: I find that I can avoid distractions by pretending not to be home. I know if I wasn’t at home I wouldn’t be answering the phone or watching tv. So I turn them off.
- Have set hours of operation: Set your hours of operation and commit to working those hours. I also make my hours of operation very clear to my friends and family. So they all understand that although I may physically be home, I’m not available.
These are some of the things that have helped me out. And I hoping they will help you in figuring out how to be productive while working from home.
If you have some additional suggestions on how to be productive while working from home, I would love to hear them in the comments below. Also you may want to read How to Succeed While Working From Home.